Every year in SA, something awesome happens called the Twitter Blanket Drive.
It’s put together by some amazingy selfless people who give of their time, energy and good spirit for such a good cause – collecting and donating blankets to those in need of them each winter. The country-wide collection takes place on May 25th with drop off points around Durban and a main collection point and ‘tweetup’ meeting spot at Wakaberry Durban North – so get involved!!! Here’s a bit of the background on the TBD:
Initiated in 2010 by Founder, Melanie Minnaar, the Twitter Blanket Drive started with a single tweet:
What if each person on Twitter donated a blanket?
What sprang from this is a uniquely South African, community-driven response to the needs of the poor during the winter months of the year. The Twitter Blanket Drive movement has grown exponentially. In 2012, 13 000 blankets were collected by the TBD and donated to organisations who assist the needy, homeless and indigent. All beneficiaries of the TBD are verified Non-Profit Organisations (NPOS), as registered with the Department of Social Development. All beneficiaries for the national drive are verified through national networking organisation, info4africa (www.info4africa.org.za).
For 2013, events will be held across the country on 25 May.
Events take on the form of a ‘Tweetup’, whereby Twitter users tweet about donating their blankets and all enjoy a meal or drink at a collection point.
THE DURBAN COLLECTIONS: 25th May 2013
Wakaberry Durban North is the main collection point for Durban with blanket collection boxes also available at Florida Road, Kloof and Umhlanga.
Durban have nominated to collect and donate blankets to KwaCare which operates soup kitchens and provides food parcels to needy families, with a focus on assisting orphans, vulnerable children and child-headed households.
How can you help?
- Attend a Twitter Blanket Drive event in your town. If you’re in Durban, come along to the Durban North branch of Wakaberry on 25 May, between 12h00 and 20h00. Collection boxes will also be made available at other branches a week before the event, in case you can’t make it on the day! Click here for Facebook event details
- Make a cash donation to the Twitter Blanket Drive. Donated funds will be used to purchase more blankets for KwaCare. Bank Details are: Account Name: Twitter Blanket Drive | Bank: First National Bank | Branch: Florida Road (220526) | Account Number: 62410761862 | Reference: Your Twitter Handle or Name.
- ‘Like’ Twitter Blanket Drive on Facebook
- Follow Twitter Blanket Drive on Twitter and tweet using the hashtag #TBD2013
- Help with the transport of the blankets from events to beneficiary organisations.
For more details on the Durban leg of the Twitter Blanket Drive, please get in touch with Fred Felton (@fredfelton) on 076-977-5788 or email email@example.com