LIFESTYLE

Twenty Sixteen

askashe_2016
Well hi there.
I took a little bit of a blog break.
Apparently you’re not supposed to do that.

Well I did and it was great :)
I spent the lead up to the end of 2015 working my butt off, too much time online, reading far too many websites & blogs, bookmarking everything to read later, because I didn’t have the capacity to take it all in then, until my bookmarks bar looked like a shopping list for a year! And I started to feel a little bit overwhelmed and needed to unplug a few things.

Information overload was taking over and that’s part of the reason I’d decided to go solo at the beginning of 2015, so feeling frazzled made me realise I needed to take a break earlier than expected.

It’s nice to do that every now and then and to be able to do so.
When your work requires you to be online almost all the time, it’s hard to pull away. I was even reading articles which told people they should not leave their blogs dormant, readers needed stuff to read all the time and you should have scheduled loads of stuff for them to read. Well phooey, that just does not suit me and I bucked the ‘rules’.

This blog is my happy place where I share stuff that I love, which I think you will love. And in 2016, it will stay that way. There’ll be no set days that I post, nor a set number of posts, but I assure you that it will always be real and it will always be written in my own voice, from my perspective, after I have actually been somewhere, or tried something first hand, or recommend because I love it.

So if at any point you can only see dark clouds and just a glimmer of light, unplug! Refresh your mind and recharge your batteries – it did me the world of good. Wishing all of you an amazing 2016.

You can catch up with me on instagram and facebook too, I find it easier to take a pic and share what I’ve discovered or done over there sometimes. I shared a few of the DIY jobs we did around our home over the break – would love to know what you think!

So here’s to another year of food, decor, DIY, Durban, travel, markets, supporting the makers, loving local and making memories – 2016 is a big year for me, I hope it is for you too x

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

debbie
    8th January 2016 at 9:47 PM

I get you. I’ve unplugged for two years! But still going to get back, I needed some time to be me again! Love your post. Always do- thank you xx

Nicola Ashe
      9th January 2016 at 11:26 AM

Thanks Debs, you’ve been making a beautiful family – the perfect reason to unplug xox

Caley
    8th January 2016 at 1:40 PM

This is just what I needed to read my friend – that it is absolutely okay to switch off and unplug for some time and enjoy it!! The online world will still be there when you return x

Nicola Ashe
      8th January 2016 at 6:53 PM

we are our own worst enemies Cals – hope to see you soon IRL xox

nicola
    8th January 2016 at 3:06 AM

My bookmarks also look like a shopping list, so much to read so little time! All the best for 2016 x

Nicola Ashe
      8th January 2016 at 8:25 AM

It seems to be a problem for many – surely we can invent an app?! Lots of wishes for 2106 to you too xox

Binx188
    7th January 2016 at 3:10 PM

I personally would much rather read things that you intend to share or that you think are of value rather than adding to the clutter of the net and just posting for post’s sake. All the best for 2016. x

Nicola Ashe
      8th January 2016 at 8:24 AM

Thanks so much!
      I promise not to clutter your feed this year – have an amazing one too x

Kath Hawkes
    7th January 2016 at 12:21 PM

This post really resonated with me. I was feeling and the same did pretty much the same. Things have been very quiet around my space over the festive season and I’ve loved it! That said, I’m glad you’re back online. I missed my dose of Durbs.
    Ps: that bookmark comment had me on the floor laughing. Good to know it’s not just me who bookmarks like it’s an Olympic sport…. for which I’m a gold medalist ?

Nicola Ashe
      8th January 2016 at 8:23 AM

Haha, thanks Kath – glad to send some good Durbs vibes up your way :)
      The bookmarks are a mare – am sure there’s a better tool but I’ve yet to discover it!?